Sunday, May 2, 2010

DIY Yardstick Coat Rack

I am super excited about this post! This is my first Do-It-Yourself project that I am posting on this blog, and I am hoping that it is the beginning of something great! Currently I have seven projects on my to do list (with about a dozen more waiting to be put on the list), and I'm hoping that they will all make it on my blog eventually.

Some of you know that I am in the process of redecorating my living room. I'm basically starting from scratch, and with a limited budget that means doing lots of things on my own. I came across these yardsticks at an antique shop for a great price and figured I could come up with something for them.



So here is what you will need for this project if you are interested in making one for yourself:

* 5 yardsticks, make sure they are the same length and thickness
* 1/4" plywood (you can use thicker if you want, I didn't want mine to stick out too far)
* 4 coat hooks (most come with screws, if not you'll need to get some)
* Gorilla Glue
* 2 picture brackets
* Saw
* Drill
* Razor Blade or pocket knife

You may also need Ralph Lauren glaze tinted in "Smoke" depending on how "aged" you want it to look.

I used the hooks off of a rack I already had. If you don't have any lying around, you can find them at any hardware store from $2-$8 per hook.


I had a yellow yardstick that I wanted to use that was fairly new,



so to make it look more "aged" to match the others I applied some of my Ralph Lauren glaze, waited a few minutes until it got tacky and then took a rag and wiped it off. This leaves enough residue that it doesn't look painted. I then took some sand paper and sanded a few
areas.



I placed the yardsticks on the plywood in the order that I wanted them, and then cut the plywood to size.



I Gorilla glued the yardsticks to the plywood and then clamped it for added pressure. Then I drilled four holes spaced evenly for the hooks.

(Note that I clamped the yardsticks using scrap pieces of wood I had around to make sure the pressure was even)



I let it dry and set for about two hours. At this point, you'll probably notice a few glue spots. Since this has the aged look, you can just take the razor blade to it and cut it off. If it scrapes the paint or coating, it's not a big deal, just adds to the overall look.



Attach the picture brackets to the back and your finished! I love the look of this in my living room!



16 comments:

  1. First of all, amazing project! It looks great, I never even knew you were crafty - we just didn't get to spend enough time together.

    I have really enjoyed keeping up with your family through your blog. I'm a faithful reader, even though I don't take time to comment often.

    Your photography is beautiful. I have been so impressed! Thanks for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on I Did It Without My Hubby.
    I love your Coat Rack, how original and such a cute idea!I recently made my own as well a little be different thought :)

    I'm your newest follower and am also new to blogging so I enjoy new friends as well!
    http://shadywoodchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on I Did It Without My Hubby. I LOVE this project!!! Just love the eclectic overall look. And those hooks are perfect for your piece. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm sooo on this one! :)

    Donna
    http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. Visiting you from Shanty 2 Chic. I've been collecting yardsticks to do something very similar. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! Now I'm really kicking myself for not picking up the really neat colored vintage yardsticks I saw last summer. Knew I'd regret that one day! LOL

    I'd like to feature your coat rack on my blog this Friday--would you allow me to use one of your photos and may I post a link to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Gonna have to hit up some yard sales. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    Liz
    Loving This Mom Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I might have to make one for myself. Wouldn't it also be fun to use rulers to make a picture frame? Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the nice comments ladies! I'm glad you liked the project.

    2redsmom - yes, picture frame's would be very cool also!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Looks great! I have a few yard sticks I am saving too. I need a few more. :o) Did you stain one of your yard sticks red or did it come that way? I really like the look of aged with red and yellow.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trish- Nope, I didn't stain the red one, I found it at a flea market! I really like the look of it as well. The nice thing is that you find one red that isn't aged enough looking, you can age it up yourself with some sandpaper and glaze...but I'm sure you could stain one of them as well. If you try it, let me know how that works out! I would love to know!

    Thanks for the comments!

    Mandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heidi - I don't know if you got the email that I sent, but yes yes yes! I would be honored to be featured on your blog, use any picture(s) of the yardsticks that you would like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi:

    A cute idea, they look beautiful, I found your blog I'm new at the blog thing, please visit mine since I just started,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had yardsticks lying around forever... and my dream was to cover a wooden box... but I'll never have enough! This is perfect!! :)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful project, this would be perfect for my new hallway for the kids to hang their coats!

    Great tutorial!!
    xx-Kristyn
    www.goodgravycrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is a great idea. im going to be making a rack and have a few things in mind . never thought of this . great job

    ReplyDelete