Tuesday, August 24, 2010

100 Piece Mirror, Part I

I need to preface this post by saying, I would not recommend trying this project if you are easily frustrated :) This has taken much work and planning (more then I had anticipated), but I am still hoping that the end result will be worth it!

I convinced Hubby to help me make a Sunburst Mirror to be the centerpiece over our bed (...yes, I am redecorating another room and still have others to complete, I know I'm bad about that). This project has taken most of one day, and is still along way from over.

Here is one of my "fed up" stages during the project :)



So I found a round mirror at a local consignment shop for $6 (I'm sure you could do better, but I'm not very patient when I have something on my mind to create).

Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the original mirror, but the previous picture shows it in four pieces :)



So here is what you'll need for part I...

A circular mirror (you can find just the mirror at many hobby stores)
3/8" plywood
At least a table saw
Sander

We cut 32 1 1/2" x 12" sections. We laid them out around a portion of the original mirror. (Now you could liquid nail these onto the actual mirror without the circular portion, or you could cut that out of plywood as well)



We then cut 32 1" x 12" sections and laid them out on top of the previous sections.




Then sand like crazy! This portion will take you plenty of time, so tomorrow will be Part II of this project :)

No comments:

Post a Comment