Friday, August 27, 2010

100 Piece Mirror, Part II

So originally I thought this process was only going to be two parts...evidently I underestimated this project :) Oh well, I am still excited about it, I just wish I could complete it faster.

After I finished sanding, I began staining. I choose a tinted water base stain by Minwax called Coffee. Now there is no reason I used a water base over the oil base except for the fact that they didn't have the color that I wanted :)



So do you remember in the previous post that I laid my 1" and 1/2" layers out around my base...well I decided that after I stained the 1" I would "save" on stain and glue them down to the 1/2". So I laid them all out and began the process (I had my hubby helping me so it went pretty quick). We drew a line all the way across of where I wanted to 1" pieces to lay.



Then glued them down using Gorilla brand Wood Glue



They looked like this...



I thought I was pretty happy, until I went to stain the remaining portion...BIG pain in the butt! Not only is it harder to make sure you are getting stain in between the boards, but you also have to make sure you don't get any more stain on the 1" piece, otherwise it continues to get darker...grrrr!

Needless to say this process is taking alot longer then I wanted, so please, just stain all your pieces first before starting to assemble (learn from my mistake :)

And I'm still being distracted by cuteness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment