Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I'm the Map, I'm the Map, I'm the Map

So about a month or so ago we moved Big Brother from his toddler bed into a twin bed. At only three years old, this kid is tall! According to doctor's charts, he's the average height of a five year old. So after I moved the bed in, I realized his room was in the need of some major redo.

I didn't take any before pictures, but just think boring and you'll pretty much get the gist of it :). So we are starting this process, it is going to take some time since I am going to try and be as frugal as possible. Buy things on sale, at garage sales, flea markets, craigslist, etc. Big Brother has requested an airplane room, so I'll do my best to create something that he can grow into.

A few weeks ago I came across this great store on Etsy that had the perfect artwork for Big Brother's room.



Gorgeous right?!? The price was $170, which in reality, for a large piece of art work, hand painted is not actually too bad. I thought I could do it cheaper and so I waited until canvas's went on sale at Michaels and snatched up six 12 x 12's. (I spent $36). Then I picked up some acrylic paint from Walmart ($2) and got sketching. Here is the finished project...






I love how it turned out, and Big Brother loves it too! More progress to come on this room in the upcoming weeks :)


Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

24 comments:

  1. Wow Mandi! That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. turned out beautiful. love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Tator Tots and Jello...I. LOVE. THIS. Seriously..amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your link at C.R.A.F.T. This is great! I just happen to have 4 canvases I got on sale, so I may try to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out terrific! Great job, Mandi! Thank you for sharing. I'm tucking this little project away for sure.

    {Hugs}, kristi

    http://ishouldbemoppingthefloor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. This project is brilliant and I love the color (the price isn't too shabby either). Thanks for creating such a fab blog full of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - I think you did an AWESOME job. I like the colors you chose better than your inspiration piece. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome! I was thinking of doing something similar with vinyl in my little guys room. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this turned out AMAZING! I saw a similar project where they painted the map directly onto the wall but I love this, much better on the separate canvas pieces. I'd love to have you share this at my VIP party Friday =)

    Cheers! Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking to Take A Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - I featured you today! - Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so fabulous! I love it. I'm a big fan of framing maps but this is a really interesting way to make a map into art. Great job - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours looks better than the original, no joke!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the map love :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please please link this up to my party! It's running right now. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-10.html
    I'm going to get my canvas for this project this weekend and a projector =) You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It turned out great! I can't believe you sketched and painted the whole thing! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is just gorgeous. So striking in green!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That looks amazing! I will definitely have to keep this in mind when we re-do my son's room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great! I love the colors you chose! Here from Under the Table and Dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mandi! I wanted to let you know this has been featured at my party this week! Come grab a button when you get a moment =)http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing! Thank you for the tutorial.
    www.diydreaming.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks awesome! I did a map too....love all map decor :-)

    http://creativejuicesdecor.blogspot.com/2011/03/map-canvas-love.html

    (saw yours on Pinterest :-)

    ReplyDelete